Columbus 2 - 2 Milwaukee Torrent

Match Recap From 5-13-18
May 13, 2018 - 3:00 pm
By: Bryan Giese

Torrent Draw Even In Inaugural Match For FC Columbus

The Milwaukee Torrent took to the road for the first time this season. It was a trip full of team building, camaraderie and a point in the standings. Their visit to FC Columbus ended with warm temperatures and a 2:2 draw on the road.

Preseason began for the Torrent late in April; just four days after Mother Nature dumped 6 inches of snow on Hart Park Stadium. Just three weeks later, the Torrent traveled to Columbus where they were met with temps near 90 degrees. “It was almost too hot today,” expressed Paris Martins. The referees for the match agreed and allowed the teams a water break at the 28 and 75 minutes of the match.

Early on, fans of FC Columbus got their first chance to celebrate during their inaugural NPSL match. With central defender, Elvis Barclay off with an injury, FC Columbus capitalized in the fifth minute by getting one past goalkeeper, Augie Rey.


Alex StojanovskiForward, Alex Stojanovski netted the Torrent’s first goal of the young season in the 36 minute. After a scoring chance by FC Columbus was negated by an offside call, the Torrent quickly moved down the field and found Stojanovski for the game tying goal.

“It felt great to score that goal,” stated Stojanovski.

Late in the first half, FC Columbus, who had been feeling the pressure of the Torrent for much of the half, were able to sustain some effort in their final third. The result was a 44 minute goal to make the match 2:1 in favor of the home squad.


The second half would have plenty of action. FC Columbus would receive a straight red card at the 55 minute mark, and five minutes later the Torrent would remove an injured Andrew Wiedabach from the lineup. At the time of this story, Wiedabach’s injury does not appear to be one that will keep him off the pitch for any extended amount of time.

In the 65 minute, on a free kick from just outside the box, Drew Ruggles would get the match equalizer. Ruggles would place a shot through the FC Columbus wall and past their goalkeeper low and to the right.

Each team would have their chances; both hitting posts and crossbars throughout the contest. But after 97 minutes, the referee would blow his final whistle on a 2:2 draw.

“Our chemistry is building,” said Michael Da-Silva after the match. “We stuck together and didn’t get down after they scored first.”

“It was hot today,” explained Sam Biek. “The heat made it difficult for us to create consistently. It also made it worse since we just played on Friday night.”

After playing three matches in the past seven days, the Torrent look forward to a short break. They will continue their 2018 campaign next Sunday with a trip to Kalamazoo.